Big Belgians in Little Italy

Circle of life?

On a recent jaunt to Bottlecraft in Little Italy I had the pleasure of sampling several delightful beers. I've been on a Belgian kick lately, as evidenced by the four tasters you see above. Clockwise from the top they are Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale (Boulevard Brewing), Four Seasons of Mother Earth Spring 2017 (Mother Earth/The Bruery), La Vie En Rosé (Pure Project Brewing), and St. Bernardus Tripel (Brouwerij St. Bernardus).

Tasting notes

Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale: I'm picking up bread dough, pepper, coriander, and grapefruit. This is a bit hoppier and hotter than I'd expected. Then again, it's 8.5% ABV, so some alcohol burn shouldn't be too surprising. The beer looks great: clear, good head and lacing. Personally I like my saisons a little smaller and less aggressive, but this is solid for what it is.

Four Seasons of Mother Earth Spring 2017: This doesn't taste like a saison at all, but I can't complain. There's mild tartness up front, although I'm not getting the kumquat that's supposedly in here. Dry hopped with Citra, Amarillo, and Sorachi Ace, this is one smooth brew.

La Vie En Rosé: Lightly floral with just a hint of honey, this has a dry, nutty finish that lasts for days. At 6.5% ABV it's more in line with what I'm looking for in a saison. I could drink a lot of this.

St. Bernardus Tripel: I get mainly lemons and spice here. This might not be assertive enough for some, but as one who prefers subtlety and nuance to being hit with a flavor hammer I enjoyed it very much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homebrewing Is Kind of Awesome

Great Beer in Hawai'i

Joy (and Beer!) in Grantville